Pages

Monday, February 2, 2015

The Weekend of All The Things

I had a great weekend!

On Friday, I went and spent the day with Mom, after picking her up from the train station.  We walked on the river, met Aunt Mary for dinner and walked again with Dad when he got home from work.  What a pleasant day!

On Saturday, I attended Ooligan Press' Write to Publish conference.  It's run by the graduate book publishing students, and it was really, really good.  Most conferences are very writing-focused; the workshops deal with different genres and forms, strategies for good writing, etc.  This conference was publishing-centric, which is a great perspective for writers to gain.  There should be more of this sort of thing.

I took lots of notes at the conference and met some really nice people.  That evening after I got home, I practiced guitar and listened to some RZIM podcasts from Just Thinking.  It made for a long, satisfying day.

And what about Sunday?  I slept in (just can't seem to help myself, lol), and went to church.  Apparently February is 'missions month', so I'm excited to learn more about the various missions programs my new church is involved in.  Later, I listened to some more RZIM podcasts, this time from the Let My People Think series.  I must have over-done it, because I decided to take a nap after the third one, and ended up sleeping an hour longer than I had intended.

But that's alright!  I spent the evening practicing guitar, spending too much time on facebook,* and writing mock query letters for one of my classes (so much fun!).  I'm especially happy with that homework, because I wrote one of the queries based on my NaNoWriMo book, which I've been putting off editing because I know it needs a ton of work and I wasn't quite sure what direction I wanted to take.  Having let it simmer on the back burner for a couple months, the query letter actually helped me refocus the concept, and now I know what direction I'm going to take in the re-writes.

How great is that?



*You see, I've cut myself off from YouTube for the month of February, so I guess I compensated a little with facebook.  It was day one - I'll accept it and move on.


2 comments: