Pages

Saturday, January 3, 2015

Disproportionate Excitement

A lot's happened in the last couple of days, you know?


I mean, first of all, big one: It is now 2015!*


But it's also my last chance to hang out with people with abandon before school starts up.

So, I spent New Year's afternoon with some friends watching the newest Doctor Who Christmas Special, Last Christmas.  It was pretty good.  Not my favorite Christmas Special, but still really good.  It was a lot of fun, and had a nice engaging plot and a rather sinister and creepy monster.

Also, the first few Christmas Specials of the reboot have just been longer DW episodes that happen to take place at Christmas time, but ever since Steven Moffat took over, they've been very, very Christmasy.  We had A Christmas Carol, whose Christmasy-ness is obvious; then we had my favorite, The Doctor, the Widow and the Wardrobe, which was all Christmas trees because of Christmas presents, and so on; then there was The Snowmen, featuring...well, snowmen; then there was The Time of the Doctor, which actually takes place in a town called Christmas, for heaven's sake; and finally, there's Last Christmas, featuring Nick Frost as Santa himself.

Anyway, they feel much more Christmasy than they used to, which I like.  So hat's off to Moffat for that.


So.  What else?


Yesterday I spent a bunch of time with Mom.  We went to the Bridgeport Barnes and Noble and I spent the last of my Christmas book money.  Between the three people who gave it to me at B&N and Powell's, I now have so many new books, I hardly know what to do with myself.  :)


Last night I went over to Aunt M and Uncle B's, and got to spend a little time with cousins, which was great.  They sent me home with my very first Voodoo Doughnut.

Later, my brother Steven called to regale me with the wonders of the movie The Book Thief, and tell me that I am required to go buy it and watch it today.  He described it as 'excellent'.  High praise, from Steven.  Not to be taken lightly.  The movie will be seen tonight.  We also made plans to start reading Spencer's The Faerie Queene.  We'll go canto by canto and compare notes over the phone.  So excited.**  We start with the letter from Spencer and his dedicatory sonnets sometime this coming week.


There's more going on, but I guess that's it for now.  Gotta dash - things...happening.  Well, four things.  Well, four things...and a lizard.^



*Woo-hoo!

**Not sarcasm.  Not even a little bit.  So.  Excited.

^I was going to paraphrase this line from Blink, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment