Pages

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Wednesday Review: Christmas Movies

Merry Christmas Eve!


It's the most wonderful time of year (when you're not sick), and I have the movies to prove it!

I actually have what I consider to be quite a few Christmas movies (and TV episodes).


I've got some classics:

-How the Grinch Stole Christmas
-Frosty the Snowman
-A Charlie Brown Christmas
-Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
-It's a Wonderful Life
-Holiday Inn

Always liked this film as a kid.

I've got a couple more obscure TV Christmas shows for the nostalgia factor:

-The Homecoming: A Christmas Story (The Waltons, with a different mom!)
-Christmas at Plum Creek (Little House on the Prairie)
-A Christmas They Never Forgot (Little House on the Prairie)


And then there are these more modern classics:

-Home Alone
-Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
-While You Were Sleeping (a movie you can love all year round)

Favorite RomCom.

And the newbies:

-Arthur Christmas
-Frozen (because winter)

This one is very inventive.

I don't care.  I like it.

But Rachel!  You mentioned TV episodes, and you even listed a few in the 'obscure nostalgia' category.  What about -

Family Ties?  The one with the 'A Christmas Carol Plot'?  Nope.  Don't have it.  Want it.  Will probably get it, at some point.  But I currently just don't have it.


No, no!  Not Family Ties!  Doctor Who!!!!

Ah.  Yes.  Well, naturally I have all the modern Doctor Who Christmas specials.

-Christmas Invasion
-The Runaway Bride
-Voyage of the Damned
-The Next Doctor
-A Christmas Carol*
-The Doctor, The Widow and the Wardrobe**
-The Snowmen
-The Time of the Doctor


Looking forward to this year's special...

So there you go!  I'm set.


Of course, I am missing some films that I really ought to have.  Like White Christmas and Miracle on 34th Street.  And I've never even seen others, like Polar Express.  And then there are the ones I very vaguely remember from my childhood: Prancer, The Year Without a Santa Claus, The Night They Saved Christmas...


But you can't have everything, and you can't do it all!  Especially when you're sick.  :)


So that's my list of Christmas movies (and TV episodes).  Good times.



*Starting with this one, the DW Christmas Specials become more directly about Christmas.  Before, they were just sort of extra long episodes that happened to take place at Christmas-time.  Now, the holiday is more fully integrated as part of the plot.  I like it.

**My favorite.


I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment