Pages

Monday, December 29, 2014

Advertising

Step right up, folks!  Step right up!

Sigh

Do you have any idea how strange it is to be marketing your own book?  Seriously, I'm not a salesman.  It's completely unnatural to me.

But here I am, trying to make a marketing plan and all that.  It's not so bad planning - it's kind of fun, really.  I mean, I enjoy organizing, making lists, and planning things, so developing an amateur marketing strategy for my poetry book is kind of fun.  Sometimes, it's even exciting.  But actually carrying it out?  Whole other story.


So what's the problem?

It's very awkward to self-promote.  At least, it's very awkward for me to self-promote.  Some people are very good at it.  Some people can even do it without being arrogant.  And then there's me.  I fail at this.

For instance, I should be using this very blog post to put up a sample or two of the poems in the book, to give you an idea of what they're like and try to entice you to buy a copy.*  But do you know how weird it feels to do that?  That's the whole reason I've written everything I've written up to this point in the post - because I feel like I have to apologize for using my blog as a platform to sell my book.  Sigh.


So here's what I'm going to do: I'm going to create a new page at the top of the blog.  That page will be all about the book.  That way, you don't have to worry about me giving a sales pitch here on the blog, I don't have to worry about integrating a sales pitch here on the blog, and yet there's still a place for you to go and get information about the book in case you are interested, and for me to advertise it.


Whew.  Thank goodness.  I literally thought of that as I was typing that paragraph.  Fantastic.

I'll build the page later today.  I hope you swing by some time to check it out, if only because I am sparing you from blatant and unclassy advertising here on my main blog page.

Have a great week, and see you Wednesday!



*See what I did there?


No comments:

Post a Comment