Pages

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

New Year's Eve

Happy New Year's Eve!


I've never been big into doing much for New Year's Eve.  Christmas is the big December holiday for me, and while it's great to move into a new year and try to remember it when you write the date on a check, I never found the actual moment to be all that exciting.  I also never did New Year's Resolutions.  Until last year.

I made some New Year's Resolutions on my arts and faith blog at the beginning of 2014.  Let's see how I did.


1. To get back to building up that arts and faith blog, with a goal to update it monthly.

Didn't exactly happen.  I did continue with the blog - I did update it several times.  But rather than building it up into a main blog, I created this one, choosing to keep that one as a once-in-a-while, more serious venture.  So, I sort of kept the spirit of the resolution, but certainly not the letter.


2. To self-publish my poetry collection, with a goal of having it out by the end of February.

Did that one, though not until mid-December, lol.  But February was just a goal - the resolution itself was to self-publish some time in 2014, and I did manage that.


3. Be more disciplined.

Hmmm.  I didn't quantify that one at all, so it's hard to assess now.  I would say that, over the course of the year, all told, I was no more disciplined than I was in 2013, although I certainly had some very good disciplined spurts.  In my defense, 2014 was full of things like getting out of the Air Force, selling my house, moving, and so forth.  2013 was just business as usual, so I should certainly hope I was as productive then as I was this year.  Anyway...


4. To move forward into the unknown, trusting God.

Done.  And really, that was the most important one.  It's easy to get distracted, of course, and it's easy to get discouraged.  I tend to get in my own way quite a lot, as well.  But with God's help, that resolution was kept.  And thanks to the pastor at my new church, I was reminded of all that just a few days ago.  A very good way to end one year and move into a new one.


I don't know if I'll do any New Year's Resolutions this year.  Last year was an anomaly, but I did more or less sort of keep them.  I'll think about it.

In the meantime, Happy New Year's Eve.



No comments:

Post a Comment