Pages

Wednesday, May 13, 2015

The Struggle is Real



Oh, look at that - a stack of middle grade children's books!*  Just sitting there, resting quietly on top of one of the shelves in one of my bookcases.  And what's this?


The Faerie Queen!  Also nestled peacefully amidst its fellow books.  There's just one problem.


As a lover-of-books, I always have a multitude of volumes on my shelves that I have yet to read, but there is always hope that one day, I'll get around to picking up King Lear, digging into that biography of King Hussein of Jordan, ploughing through The Faerie Queen,** and reading the History of the Kings of Britain.  But the children's books always take precedence - I never have a pile of unread middle grade novels sitting on my shelves.

Until now.


For the first time in my life, my children's books purchases have outpaced me.  I simply haven't had the time to read them.  Which is absolutely heartbreaking.  Every day, several times a day, I walk past that stack of children's books.

My hands itch.  My steps falter.  My gaze lingers.  My brain runs through a catalog of all the books on my shelves that I'm dying to read and don't have time to right now.

I suppose it's a good problem to have.  Much better than having time to read but no books nearby.


But still.  It's a little disheartening to turn away from such bounty, day after day, to go do homework.^



*Actually, two stacks.

**Which I actually have started.  And haven't had time to continue...

^Even though my homework this term is fantastic.


No comments:

Post a Comment