Pages

Monday, October 27, 2014

An Unexpected Adventure

Hello!  Long time, no see!


So, for the first time in the short history of this blog, I missed posting on Friday AND Saturday.  But it wasn't entirely my fault.  Let me explain.


No.  There is too much.  Let me sum up:*


- I didn't write Friday because I couldn't think what to write about.

- On Saturday Dad and I drove to my new apartment, got my keys and unloaded everything.  We ran a couple errands and got my internet set up, then Dad went home.  I was in the middle of setting up my wireless router when the power went out.

Yep!  The power went out my first day in my new apartment.  We had a storm blowing through, but storms in the NW can be a little deceptive; there wasn't a whole lot of rain, so I thought, it's no big deal.  Then I drove over to Aunt M and Uncle B's to borrow a sleeping pad, card table and folding chairs, and found out that the wind was a bit stronger than I thought - the streets were strewn with debris, some of the traffic lights were out, several massive trees had crashed to the ground... It was a mess.

I made it to my aunt and uncle's safely, got the stuff, had a piece of pear pie, chatted for a while, then decided to make for home in case it got dark early, like it did a few days before.

Back at home, I went into night preparation mode.  First order of business: find my flashlight.  Second order of business: make sure the milk is put in the freezer before the fridge loses too much of its chill.  Third order of business: get my bed and sleeping bag set up.  Fourth order of business: unpack and organize clothes so that pajamas and warm clothes are near at hand in case it gets cold.

Having completed my unpacking triage, I spent the rest of the evening putting unpacked boxes in the closet and reading.**  It didn't get dark early after all, so I was able to read quite a while before having to use my flashlight.  The power came back on a short while later.

And there you have it!  A lovely adventure for my first day in my new apartment.  :)



*That move is just so quotable.  (The book is a lot of fun, too.)
**The Royal Ranger, last of the Ranger's Apprentice series by John A. Flanagan.


No comments:

Post a Comment