Pages

Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Wednesday Not Really A Review: Toshiba Netbook

Well.

Yesterday the movers came and packed everything, and today they came and carted it all out to their truck.  Hence the lateness of the hour for this post.

I only kept the bare minimum items that I will need for the next month or so - everything else went into the moving truck.  It occurred to me too late that I should have kept my folding chair.  Now I'm sitting on my fireplace hearth while I type; there's nowhere else to go.

Another thing that was packed away was my primary computer.  This means I am relying on my lovely external hard drive and my hardworking little Netbook for all of my computing needs.

You know, this little Netbook and I have been through a lot together.*  It was my first major electronics purchase as an adult.  Certainly my first frivolous (at the time) major electronics purchase.  It's TARDIS blue, which is a pleasant coincidence (it was the only color they had in stock, and I had yet to see a single episode of that superlative show).  Most importantly, I took it with me to Afghanistan.

Yes, sir.  This little computer weathered more than seven months of cold, heat, dust, trans-continental travel and lots of experimentation to try and get the most out of the wretched internet service I had out there for a few months.  What a good computer.

Fond though I am of it, I am forced to acknowledge that, at 4 years of age, it's 'getting on'.  Its processing abilities were already limited simply by virtue of the fact that it's a Netbook.  Add to that outdated software, and pure old age, and it's running pretty slowly.

Someday soon, I shall have to get a new portable computing device of some kind.  We'll call my move from Georgia to Oregon its last hurrah.  I will miss seeing my USAF unit sticker and the Doctor Who Worlds in Time new paradigm Dalek sticker that I put on it while I was overseas.  :)

One last trip together, Netbook.  One last golden day in the sun.**



*Accidental Star Wars reference.
**Apologies for all the overly sentimental language and personification of an inanimate object.  It seemed like the thing to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment