Pages

Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Isaiah 65 Poem


I really like the book of Isaiah, and certain chapters in particular. One of those chapters is number 65. Some of the word pictures are very striking, like those first few verses: "I was ready to be sought by those who did not ask for me; I was ready to be found by those who did not seek me. I said, 'Here I am, here I am,' to a nation that was not called by my name. I spread out my hands all the day to a rebellious people," (v 1-2a).* The descriptive language in this whole chapter is very effective in creating a sort of cinematic presentation of the broken relationship between God and his people, followed by its eventual repair.

There are also some wonderful repetitions. In verse 12 for example, God, speaking of his rebellious people, says: "when I called, you did not answer; when I spoke, you did not listen." This is juxtaposed beautifully (and doubly)** in the promise of the new heavens and new earth, as God says: "Before they call I will answer; while they are yet speaking I will hear" (v 24).

I encourage you to read Isaiah 65 for yourself; there's so much more to it than what I've briefly mentioned here. I like it so much, it inspired a poem:


Isaiah 65

We didn’t ask for you today –
We sat among the graves;
Said once again, “keep to yourself”
And wandered, unafraid.

We walked after our empty thoughts,
A sacrifice of smoke.
We didn’t answer when you called
Or listen when you spoke.

But Lord, you’ll lure us back in,
Surprising with your nearness,
Employing all that speaks to us;
Conviction with a promise:

We will remember what we forgot –
Before we call, you’ll answer.
While we’re yet speaking, you will hear –
Our God and Priest and Master.



*ESV
**Not only will there be a response, unlike in the present situation; it will also be undertaken in reverse - God's people will be calling out to him, and he will be responding.


2 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love Isaiah, too. My favorite chapter is 53.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, that's a really good chapter. I like chapter 43 a lot, too.

      Delete