Pages

Saturday, August 23, 2014

Field Trip

What a weekend.

I volunteer with my local Civil Air Patrol squadron, and a couple of months ago, we decided to plan a field trip to Charleston, SC.  So, yesterday mid-morning, we packed 13 Cadets, 5 Senior Member volunteers and 1 parent into 3 vehicles and hit the road!

We drove directly to Charleston Air Force Base, where we caught a ride on a C-17 Globemaster.  The cadets absolutely loved it.  The route our flight took involved several take-offs and landings, which was particularly exciting for one cadet who had never been in a powered aircraft before.  During a longer leg of the sortie, the cadets were even allowed to take turns making a brief visit to the cockpit.  Overall, I think it made an impression.  :)

After the flight, we camped out at a nearby pavilion.  I haven't slept in a sleeping bag in ages!

Today, we went to Patriot's Point and explored three World War Two era ships: The USS Laffey (a destroyer), the USS Clamagore (a submarine), and the USS Yorktown (a carrier).

It was around 100 degrees outside, and very humid.  The ships weren't as air-conditioned as I had anticipated, lol.  Still, it was pretty great.  The Laffey and the Clamagore are smaller than you think, especially the sub.  It's amazing they fit so many people on board.  The Yorktown was, of course, much larger - I didn't even get to see the whole thing before it was time to leave.  Well worth a visit.  Or two!

I'll put up some pictures as soon as I find the cord for my camera.

All in all, a fun and successful trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment