Pages

Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Interview With Ginny Owens - Part Three


This is the third and final installment of my interview with Ginny Owens on the intersection of art and faith. Click to read Part One or Part Two.



Most of your music is overtly Christian, but you’ve also released a few songs that are not. Do you write many of those?

I do. This past weekend I wrote a Country song with a couple other writers. I also have a song in a new movie about human trafficking. I'd even say that, while many of my songs are explicitly Christian if you are a Christian, listeners who don't share Christian beliefs might not hear them that way. In the future, I plan to release more of both.



What kinds of tensions do you notice for Christians in the arts?

I do have quite a bit of trouble, especially with Christian music. I love that it’s safe for the whole family, but life isn’t safe, and we have all these Christian songs that I feel like are for new believers and believers who are only comfortable listening to that. But we should be able to eat solid food instead of just whatever light stuff we’re feeding them.

I used to think, ‘everyone writes these silly songs and they’re so shallow,’ but now having been in a room with a lot of writers, I realize their hearts are good and they’re deep thinkers, but they have to feed their families. I’m glad to know the struggle is real.

One of the things that’s challenging for Christian creatives is finding influences. Addicted to Mediocrity is a short book Francis Schaeffer’s son wrote, about how the church used to be the leader in art, and we are now following the world. I really don’t know how we get out of that, and I know there are many thinking creatives in the church. Unfortunately, what rises to the top is the stuff people are trying to sell on the radio. So it’s not that creative; it’s not that colorful; it’s not that deep. So I think the challenge, especially for young artists, is finding great influences and great mentors.


Do you see encouraging signs there?

Yes. There are tons of creative people, and obviously God has placed creativity in all of us. Because He’s placed it in us and placed eternity in our hearts, we need to represent Him well in our art. It’s very possible and very doable and people are doing it all the time, so there are many great things going on in art.

I don’t know a ton about them, but I’m beginning to learn there are a lot of creative arts ministries in different spaces around the country of people who want to be intentional about the kind of art they pursue and are making. It’s out there, and the people to connect with are out there, you just kind of have to work for it.



I had a great time talking with Ginny about art and faith. If you'd like to know more, you can follow Ginny here:

Website & Blog: ginnyowens.com
Twitter: @GinnyOwens

You can also get Ginny's book, Transcending Mysteries, or check out her NEW 14-Day Devotional.


*Be sure to watch Ginny’s How I See It video series!



No comments:

Post a Comment