Pages

Friday, July 13, 2018

Flashback Friday


It's been a while since I've posted because

1. I was busy preparing for the debut of my first full-length play.

2. I was out of town on vacation.

3. I'm getting ready to move!

4. Etc.


But now all of that is done* and to get me started again, I thought we could have some fun. Here's a #fbf** poem I thought you might enjoy. I wrote it in high school during Algebra 2/Trig class. We were having independent work time, and I had miraculously already finished. Since math wasn't my favorite subject, I decided to do something totally different with the time left in the period. This is one of the first poems I ever wrote:^


In the World of Mathematics

Here strange symbols do abound,
Like pi and sigma - mental Titanics,
And countless others as profound
In the world of mathematics.

Numbers jump up from the page;
Fractions display frightful antics;
Exponentials play mind games
In the world of mathematics.

X, Y, Z, and A, B, C;
Those variable fanatics
Even created trigonometry
In the world of mathematics!

Who out there really wants to know
The equations of the Atlantic?
Surely just those filled with woe,
In the world of mathematics.^*




*Except for #3...

**Flashback Friday. Hashtags - they're a thing. Apparently... ;)

^There was one in elementary school that I remember, maybe two or three in middle school, one in ninth grade, and a handful in 10th, including this one.

^*No offense to math nerds (of which my oldest brother was one) is intended. I just needed a rhyme. :D


1 comment: